Search This Blog

Wednesday, April 18, 2012

Another Fantastic Feijoa Experiment

So I've tried to make something with my feijoas every day so far.  I've also given away more than a couple of bags... Feijoas abound in our humble abode!  I made another batch of jam yesterday and ended up with five more jars.

I thought it time to branch out, so I tried this recipe for preserving feijoas.  I was a bit nervous about it, but I figured I had enough fruit that if I mucked it up it would be no big loss.

The first peeled and halved feijoa.  The first of about forty.
We are not under any illusions that this is healthy.  That's a LOT of sugar.

Sugar dissolved, with the cinnamon and vanilla floating fragrantly around.
After the sugar boiled, I added the feijoas and let it boil again.
Well... all I have to say is:

Oh.  My.  God. 
Louisa smelling and loving the heavenly fragrance.
As it cooked, the sweet aroma of the feijoas mixed with the sugar, vanilla and cinnamon sent Louisa and I into a bit of a tailspin.  She said "I think this is what heaven would smell like."  I reckon she's absolutely right!

Bottled and ready to use.  We (Louisa and I) decided it would be divine over ice cream.  We couldn't let all the sugary syrup go, so I bottled that up to use as cordial.
Yum!  A couple didn't fit in the jars (pity) - naturally we decided to 'test' them.  It was so divine, I actually did a happy dance.  All three of us had very happy mouths (and this was even BEFORE dinner!)
Well worth the effort and ensuing mess (I am not a tidy cook.)  The only question is:  How long will they last?

Tomorrow's plan is to try a feijoa, vanilla and ginger jam.  We'll see how that goes and if it makes me happy dance also... I'm quite excited for my next Kitchen Adventure!



2 comments:

  1. Sounds amazing Tez. You could probably use them for a tartatane

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Kat! Would you have any of those recipes (or an explanation of what a tartatane is?) :)

    ReplyDelete