Search This Blog

Friday, January 20, 2012

Tomato Chutney

I kindly liberated a page from my hairdresser's latest Women's Day magazine (with her permission of course!) because I thought this recipe looked the easiest of all chutney recipes I had found.  I halved the recipe given, because I didn't want to use 1 1/2 kg of my tomatoes up.  I'm hoping that I can get really good at this one, because it'd be a cute little gift to give!


Classic Tomato Chutney - from Women's Day
Makes: 2 1/2 cups
Preparation: 35 minutes
Cooking: 2 hours
Weight Watchers ProPoints: 1 point per serving (my logic is as follows: 1 cup = 16 tablespoons, so you'd get about 40 tbsp from this recipe.  1 tbsp = 0 points, but about 1/10th of a bottle is 1 point.  Clear as mud?)

750g ripe tomatoes, peeled and chopped
1 1/4 cups white wine vinegar
1/4 cup sultanas
1/2 large onion, chopped
1/2 garlic clove, chopped
1/2 tablespoon salt
2 whole cloves
1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper (makes it quite spicy!)
2/3 cups caster sugar

(Preparation - Peel the tomatoes by first scoring the base of them with a cross and then blanch in boiling water for 1 minute, then transfer to a bowl of chilled water.  The skin will peel off easy as pie.)
  1. In a medium saucepan, combine all ingredients except sugar.  Stir on med-high heat until the mixture comes to the boil.  Reduce heat to low and simmer for 1 1/2 hours, stirring occasionally, until tomatoes soften (long enough to do quite a bit of knitting!) 
  2. Stir in sugar until dissolved.  Bring to the boil.  Cook for a further 20-30 minutes, stirring often (but not constantly) until mixture thickens.
  3. Pour into sterilized jars and seal (I sterilized mine in the microwave as a helpful website suggested.  Bad idea, they all cracked.  Waste of very cute jars.)  Store in a cool, dry cupboard for up to three months.  Keep in the fridge after opening. 
It's ridiculously tasty on homemade hamburgers (all gourmet-like!) and really good on a hunk of a milder tasting cheese (we've already finished 1 little bottle.)

**update - after making a batch of green tomato chutney, I've realised that this one is still too liquidy.  Next time I make it, I'll let it thicken more - Phill reckons it's more of a sauce.  Nonetheless, I'm still pretty pleased with my first efforts at chutney making.


2 comments:

  1. Mmm. I've never made chutney before because honestly I didn't really know what to do with it. The hamburger suggestion is a great one though. Do you know how long this normally will keep in the fridge?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No idea (I've got the page from the magazine beside me and it doesn't say.) A Google search tells me that if the jar is properly sterilized, it'll keep up to a year. I'd go with 3-6 months... I'm trying to eat the stuff I made quite quickly, because I think my microwave sterilization technique was a bit suspect. If in doubt, halve the recipe again and you'll only get 1 1/4 cups, which is enough to experiment with. :)

      Delete