Search This Blog

Thursday, March 8, 2012

The Tomatoes Will Not Win!

You'd think, as a lover of tomatoes, the sight of them wouldn't really reduce me to near tears.  After gazing forlornly at the mountains of tomatoes in the kitchen yesterday, I decided to take action.

After making a lovely dinner (of course) I made another batch of oven roasted pasta sauce (not as good as last time - too much Worcester Sauce this time) and I decided to tackle some Tomato Chilli Jam.

A friend mentioned that it's quite lovely, so I thought I'd give it a go.  I'm pleased to report that my jam set beautifully this time!  I'll be bringing a jar of jam for my friend who suggested it... hopefully she'll like it!

Ingredients:
  • 500 g tomatoes - peeled (blanched for a minute and then remove skins) and roughly chopped
  • 250 g jam sugar (regular white sugar is fine too, but the jam sugar has setting agents in it)
  • juice of 1 lemon (I used 4 tbsp lemon juice)
  • 1 tsp mixed dried herbs
  • 1 tsp chilli flakes.
Put all ingredients except sugar in a heavy based saucepan and boil on medium-low heat until the tomatoes are mushy (about 8 minutes.)
Add the sugar and stir until dissolved. 
 Increase heat to medium high and bring to a rolling boil until thickened and glossy.
 Do the 'jam set test.'  While you test, remove the pot from the heat.  If you run your finger through and it makes a channel without running back together (as in the lower right hand corner of the picture) it's ready.  Phill's mum suggested that I put the plate in the freezer to help with the testing.  Happy to say it was indeed helpful.
Funnel/ladle into sterilized jars and seal.  I don't have any lids for these, but the jam jar covers from Pak'n'Save work a treat!

Good on poached eggs, chicken and assorted meats.  Keeps for 6 months if stored in a cool dark place.  Refrigerate after opening.  Easy peasy!  It took about 45 minutes all up... I'll be making this one again.



No comments:

Post a Comment